Victorian Residential Efficiency Scorecard Bulletin 9: Out and about - Extract
"During July, August and September, the Scorecard team worked with the Alternative Technology Association to find ATA members who were keen to get a Scorecard assessment and be interviewed about their experience. 3ARK assessors Ash and Ratko pounded the pavements of Melbourne and regional Victoria with Jacinta from ATA, producing 14 'before and after' studies of renovations. The houses range from tiny to huge, urban to rural, and from architect-designed deep-green homes to regular suburban dwellers looking to save money on energy bills."
- a chance to significantly lift the; standard, quality, efficiency and comfort of homes, workplaces, institutions, public buildings and facilities.
- a chance to significantly reduce our carbon footprint going forward.
- a chance for a healthier Built Environment.
- a chance to "Lift our game" and get on board to building a better and environmentally sustainable future.
smart finance for better buildings"
"A new and growing form of finance provided by major financiers in Australia for upgrading commercial and other buildings, reducing operating costs and improving energy, waste, water or energy efficiency or increasing renewable energy."
The sliding door, a great space saver in a home, is one of those invisible ones.
Using a blower door creates a pressure difference between the inside of the building and outside, thereby exacerbating any air-leakage areas in the building envelope. A recent inspection for a new home buyer, concerned about unintended air-leakage, revealed a particular leaky sliding door cavity. Turning our fan on caused the door to slam close on its own, such was the amount of air-leakage in the cavity. This means it was open to the ‘outside’; drawing in hot air on a summers day and providing a “chimney effect” during winter, sucking out your heated air which burns additional energy dollars.
Designing, Building, or Buying a new home?
Make airtightness a requirement and get an airtightness test done to verify the performance of your prized home. It’s the only way to prove the constructed home performs as your design intended. Otherwise, all those great energy efficiency features are less effective due to unintended air-leakage.
- 1 point is awarded where whole building airtightness testing is carried out in accordance with a recognised industry standard.
- 2 points are awarded where whole building airtightness testing is carried out in accordance with a recognised industry standard and the results demonstrate the achievement of a ‘best practice’ outcome.